Summarized from my birth contract from Childbirth International
- I will support you during your pregnancy and during your labor, in whatever choices you make.
- I will provide information to enable you to make informed choices.
- I will maintain complete confidentiality of all details relating to your pregnancy and birth.
- I will strive to support you during labor to ensure a positive birth experience and to help you to achieve the type of birth you have chosen.
- As I am independent and self-employed, I will be working for you, not your care provider or hospital.
- I do not perform clinical tasks such as blood pressure or fetal heart rate monitoring. I do provide physical, emotional and educational support.
- If requested, I will arrange another doula as back up in case of emergencies.
- Two antenatal visits will cover your history and we will practice relaxation techniques, work with a rebozo and/or birth ball, discuss concerns and review pertinent studies if you have questions.
- I can help your partner to feel calm and informed, giving him or her ideas to continue support from beginning to end. .
- I will provide birth plan information and consultation.
My Prenatal and Birth Obligations and Duties:
- I will draw on my knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort, and communicate with the medical staff to make sure you have the information you need to make informed decisions during labor. My background as an RN may enhance your understanding of any medical procedures.
- I can provide reassurance and perspective to you, make suggestions to help labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning, and other techniques for comfort.
- I will be on call for you 24 hours a day beginning two (2) weeks before your estimated due date (EDD) up until labor begins.
- I will answer questions and make suggestions over the phone any time before labor begins.
- I will provide early labor support as requested, including in your home.
- I will remain with you once active labor has begun until one to two hours after your baby is born. .
- I will strive to maintain a calm and peaceful birth environment.
- I will maintain a birth log as circumstances allow or create for you a birth story if requested.
- I will be available for immediate postpartum questions and one visit either at the hospital or your home. At this visit we will review what a great job you and your partner did!